[llvm-dev] Relicensing: Revised Developer Policy

Rafael Avila de Espindola via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Aug 10 17:29:14 PDT 2017

Chris Lattner <clattner at llvm.org> writes:

>> Yes, but changing the license impacts our users, which is a bigger issue IMHO.
>
> We don’t believe that the relicense will impact users of LLVM.  Also, a relicense is unavoidable, as I already explained.

The impact depends on the license. I don't think anyone ever objected to
MIT for example, and relicensing to that solves the issue of different
parts of llvm having different licenses.

>> I have no problem changing the license to something FreeBSD and OpenBSD
>> are happy with.
>
> I request that you let other people worry about and represent their own concerns: there is no need for you to try to defend or represent other other people’s interests.  There is a lot of diligence that is happening off list, which is one of the reasons progress is slow.  We’re doing everything possible to make sure the right thing happens for users and contributors, even if it is at the expense of calendar time.
>
> That said, my understanding is that they are currently evaluating this, and the current (but not finalized) belief is that the new license is good for FreeBSD.

It is my interest to see my code used. In particular I am really excited
to see llvm/clang/lld/lldb/etc replacing more and more of the previous
components on these systems. I really don't want to harm that change.

If FreeBSD and OpenBSD are OK with license X, I am OK with license X.

Cheers,
Rafael