[llvm-dev] AliasAnalysis: may-alias subcategory

Nema, Ashutosh via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Aug 7 08:28:04 PDT 2017

There are function which does have optimization opportunities but because of may-alias memory dependencies sometimes optimization is not effective. May be runtime checks kills the gains of optimization. For such cases aiming to do interprocedural function specialization optimization where in the clone function version no-alias assumption can be assumed and the original function version will hold the default alias assumption.

i.e.
void foo(int *A, int *B, int *C) {
  for (int i=0; i<N; i++)
       A[i] = B[i] + C[i];
}
void callFoo() {
   foo (A1, B1, C1); // A1 no-alias with B1 & C1
   foo (A2, B2, C2); // A2 no-alias with B1 & C1
   foo (A3, B3, C3); // A3 must-alias with B3/C3
}

Will be transformed to:
void foo(int *A, int *B, int *C) {
       // default loop version
}
void foo.clone(int * restrict A, int *B, int *C) {
       // Optimal loop version
}
void callFoo() {
   foo.clone(A1, B1, C1); // Call to optimal version
   foo.clone(A2, B2, C2); // Call to optimal version
   foo (A3, B3, C3); // Call to default version
}

For such cases I like to differentiate between “may-alias” and “may-alias-because-it's-input”.

Regards,
Ashutosh