[llvm-dev] AliasAnalysis: may-alias subcategory

Nema, Ashutosh via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Aug 7 04:29:07 PDT 2017

Hi,

The current AliasAnalysis marks may-alias for cases when memory passed as function argument.

i.e.
void foo(int *A, int *B, int *C) {
  for (int i=0; i<N; i++)
       A[i] = B[i] + C[i];
}

In the above example, it's may-alias for memory 'A', because 'A' is not known at 'foo' call sites.
Alias analysis is able to figure out memory 'A' is no-alias, if I modify the above test by making 'A' as an stack variable.

I'm interested to find the cases where memory is always may-alias because of input function parameter.
Probably a sub category(may-alias-because-of-function-parameter) of may-alias may help.

Not sure llvm already has something to sub categorize may-alias cases.

Thanks,
Ashutosh