[llvm-dev] [InstCombine] Simplification sometimes only transforms but doesn't simplify instruction, causing side effect in other pass

Chandler Carruth via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Aug 2 16:29:50 PDT 2017

On Wed, Aug 2, 2017 at 4:07 PM Matthias Braun via llvm-dev <
llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> On Aug 2, 2017, at 4:00 PM, Wei Mi <wmi at google.com> wrote:
>
> On Wed, Aug 2, 2017 at 3:36 PM, Matthias Braun <mbraun at apple.com> wrote:
>
> So to write this in a more condensed form, you have:
>
> %v0 = ...
> %v1 = and %v0, 255
> %v2 = and %v1, 31
> use %v1
> use %v2
>
> and transform this to
> %v0 = ...
> %v1 = and %v0, 255
> %v2 = and %v0, 31
>
> This is a classical problem with instruction combining. When you replace a
> non-root node of a pattern (in this case %v2 would be the root pattern we
> match, but we actually replace %v1 with %v0 as part of the replacement) and
> that non-root node has multiple users then it becomes very hard to predict
> whether the transformations pays off in the end.
>
> In my experience it is best to restrict those sort of transformation to
> situations where you can prove there aren't multiple users on the
> intermediate/non-root node that we replace. (Or if you want to get fancier
> that all users
> will match the same pattern).
>
> - Matthias
>

> Thanks Matthias, yes, the transformation in instcombine is of non-root
> node pattern. What I am worried about to add the restriction that %v1
> has to have only one use is that such change may regress some
> benchmarks. For the same case, after we add the limitation, we will
> save a move in BB1, but may add another move in BB2, because %v2 and
> %v1 are both alive after %v2 = and %v1, 31.  Which choice is better
> depends on the hotness of BB1 and BB2, so the result of such
> transformation in instcombine is like flipping a coin.  Currently we
> don't have a pass to use BFI to do such transformation in a meaningful
> way. Maybe we need such a pass, and with that pass, we can disable the
> transformations in instcombine without regressing certain benchmarks.
>
> Yes this strategy will regress some situations and also goes against the
> LLVM spirit of perform as much normalization as possible in the middle end.
>
> On the other hand eagerly transform all such opportunities has more
> potential to regress things than to improve things in my experience,
> especially since we currently have no way of reverting this transformation.

There are many cases where we have no way of reverting this transformation,
but it seems like this is not one of those cases.

It seems like we could, potentially very late (not sure how late, maybe in
remat itself? maybe earlier...), recognize that we can reduce the live
value set by rewriting %v2 in terms of %v1 (in your reduced example). Even
something as simple as demanded-bits should be able to tell that %v0 and
%v1 are interchangeable.

But maybe there is something about this live-set-reduction transform that
is hard? I've not thought about it much.

> So at the very least changing the strategy would be a very interesting
> experiment and at least in another compiler I worked on we saw a huge
> number of improvements and nearly no regressions when switching to this
> strategy of not transforming in the presence of multiple users on a
> non-root node.

None of the above would invalidate the utility of this experiment of course.

I would guess we want to restrict the experiment to combines where the
rewrite doesn't substantially improve our ability to reason about the
computed value (IE, something we can see through transparently like an and
seems like a no-brainer).

My guess at why this would hurt LLVM, if it does, is due to the recursion
depth limit and the degree to which we rely on lazy "up" walks with that
depth limit rather than forward-propagation.