[llvm-dev] [MemorySSA] A question about how to update the MemorySSA when we call RecursivelyDeleteTriviallyDeadInstructions

Daniel Berlin via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Apr 28 12:00:07 PDT 2017

On Fri, Apr 28, 2017 at 11:29 AM, Wei Mi <wmi at google.com> wrote:

> When we erase a memory access instruction, existing passes using
> memory ssa like GVN, NewGVN, GVNHoist and EarlyCSE uses
> MemorySSAUpdater to do the update before the instruction is erased.
>
> However, if we call llvm::RecursivelyDeleteTriviallyDeadInstructions
> to find out dead instruction recursively and memory access
> instructions may be erased inside the recursive process, we need a way
> to update MemorySSA for those instructions. Note MemorySSA update
> should be done before the instruction is erased.
>

> Is it acceptable to have an API with MemorySSAUpdater as a param,

I think so, that is what we do in other APIs.

> or
> it is better for MemoryUseOrDef to have a callback value handler to do
> the update transparently,

For removal, the order of removal matters
Just like with regular IR, you must remove the uses (or ensure a single
value for arguments) for MemoryPhi nodes before trying to remove them.

Thus it would likely be easy to cause subtle to trigger bugs with a
callback handler.

or there are better ways to be suggested.