[llvm-dev] Collectively dominance

Daniel Berlin via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Apr 25 19:04:36 PDT 2017

On Tue, Apr 25, 2017 at 6:42 PM, Hongbin Zheng <etherzhhb at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 25, 2017 at 6:32 PM, Daniel Berlin <dberlin at dberlin.org>
> wrote:
>

>> On Tue, Apr 25, 2017 at 6:17 PM, Hongbin Zheng <etherzhhb at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Daniel,
>>>
>>> I mean "*As a set*, B + C dominate D".

>>> "For each predecessor" do you mean "For each predecessor of the basic
> blocks in the set"? I.e. for each predecessor of B and C in this example.

No, for each predecessor of D.

The definition of dominance is that d dominates n if every path from root
to n goes through d.
This means for anything to collectively dominate a node, it either must:
Be be in the idom tree (ie so that the above is definitely true)
or cover every path into the block.

The only way to cover every path is to cover at least a dominator of all of
the predecessors.

This would guarantee that collectively, every path to the predecessor must
go through the set.

Note that this definition is recursive, actually, so while the algorithm i
gave covers most examples.
For any block with multiple predecessors, you'd have to apply it
recursively.

Thanks