[llvm-dev] Git Transition status?

Erik Olofsson via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Sat Apr 22 01:37:06 PDT 2017

On 17 Jan 2017, at 01:17, Chris Lattner via llvm-dev
<llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
> - The download size of a mono-repo is manageable, and seems scalable for a project the size of LLVM (including reasonable growth over the next 10 years).

Did you consider that GitHub has a 1GB size limit/recommendation?
https://help.github.com/articles/what-is-my-disk-quota/

The full mono-repo is already approaching this limit:
llvm-project 1.5G (.git 871M) (GitHub API 830,702K)

On Tue, Jan 17, 2017 at 4:24 PM, David Chisnall via llvm-dev
<llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> I would be in favour of a monorepo for everything that links against LLVM libraries and everything else being in separate repos.

I agree fully. I work on a project that use submodules for external
dependencies. For llvm this means compiling and linking statically
with dependencies for Linux and OSX platforms. So these:

(compiler-rt, libcxx, libcxxabi, libunwind) 141M  (.git 60M)

I would hesitate to add a dependency that use 1.5G disk space, so if
you go with the mono-repo approach I would probably use the supposed
read only mirror repos for these modules.

This in turn would mean that the hurdle for contributing back to these
projects would increase and thus the the likelihood of contributions.

Consolidating other projects with interdependencies into other
mono-repos would also make sense. E.g. libcxx with dependencies.

The most important thing is to make a decision.  I have some small
contributions just waiting for a sane contribution process (GitHub
pull requests) ;)

Erik