[llvm-dev] LLVM is getting faster, April edition

Mehdi Amini via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Apr 18 19:03:11 PDT 2017

> On Apr 17, 2017, at 9:55 PM, Madhur Amilkanthwar via llvm-dev <llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
>
> Thanks Gerolf for explaining the philosophy behind the analysis. I totally agree it requires consistency and watch.
>
> I got the purpose of CTMark. Its intent is clear to me. Apart from this have we ever thought of having synthetic tests which are focused on compile-time only? We can write a test suite generator which generates LLVM IR files which stress tests a particular phase of LLVM. E.g. we can have a performance test which stress test just LICM or LSE and so on.
>
> This will allow us to keep an eye on that phase and track more efficiently.

I suspect this will track a particular instance of the pass execution without necessarily catch/cover the edge cases that we may end up regressing. So I’m not sure about the expected efficiency of such approach.
It also wonder about how hard it would be to maintain such tests as the passes and the pipeline evolve with time.

—
Mehdi