[llvm-dev] Separate LoopVectorize LLVM pass

Alex Susu via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Apr 18 16:06:03 PDT 2017

   Hello.
     I come back to this thread because I still have issues with my separate LoopVectorize
(same code, but without relying on PassManagerBuilder and -O3) LLVM pass.
     More exactly, my LoopVectorize pass, when given the following reduction code:
       short SumReduce(short *C, short N) {
         short sum = 0;
         for (short i = 0; i < N; ++i) {
           sum += C[i];
         }
         return sum;
       }
     I get on the standard error of opt:
       LV: Checking a loop in "SumReduce" from test.c:15:3
       LV: Loop hints: force=? width=128 unroll=0
       LV: Found a loop: for.body
       LoopVectorize::canVectorizeInstrs(): PhiScev = {0,+,1}<nuw><nsw><%for.body>
       LoopVectorize::canVectorizeInstrs(): AR = {0,+,1}<nuw><nsw><%for.body>
       LV: Found an induction variable.
       LoopVectorize::canVectorizeInstrs(): PhiScev = %sum.02
       LV: PHI is not a poly recurrence.
       LV: PHI is not a poly recurrence.
       remark: <unknown>:0:0: loop not vectorized: value that could not be identified as
reduction is used outside the loop
       LV: Found an unidentified PHI.  %sum.02 = phi i32 [ %add, %for.body ], [ 0,
%for.body.preheader ]
       LV: Can't vectorize the instructions or CFG
       LV: Not vectorizing: Cannot prove legality.
       Exiting LoopVectorize::runOnFunction()

     Does anybody know what pass would be helpful for this issue (e.g. "PHI is not a poly
recurrence."), besides the passes presented below already.?

   Thank you very much,
     Alex