[llvm-dev] Question on induction variable simplification pass

Chawla, Pankaj via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Apr 14 16:55:14 PDT 2017

Hi Sanjoy,

I have attached the IR I got by compiling with -O2. This is just before we widen the IV.

To get the backedge taken count info I ran indvars on it and then replaced zext with sext.

I think regardless of where we decide to add this transformation in the pipeline, it should try to preserve as much information as it can. This means that we should generate sext for signed IVs and vice-versa. I believe this is a better approach as it preserves the information directly in the IR as opposed to relying on ScalarEvolution to deduce it.

Moving it to a different location can be done separately.

Do you agree?

Thanks,
Pankaj