[llvm-dev] ORC C Interface & JITEventListeners

Lang Hames via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Apr 13 18:09:50 PDT 2017

Hi Andres,

Unless JITed objects are actually written out as proper shared objects I
> don't see how profilers would understand this?

Yes - The objects would need to be written out. The key point is to try to
keep the semantics and formats as close as possible to the statically
compiled equivalent.

> There might also be functions getting mapped to points where another
> function might have
> been mapped to previously.

This will depend on the nature of the specific JIT being constructed. For
JITs that do re-compilation of functions (rather than just deferring the
initial compilation until first call) we will need a mechanism to
communicate what has happened to the tools.

>    I suspect this'll continue to need something like the JITEventListener
> thing.

When I say that we don't want a JITEventListener I mean that we don't want
the JITEventListener interface itself (or any fixed set of callbacks).
There's no dispute that we need general visibility into the JIT though.
Decomposing the JIT into components is meant to improve that.

 I'm quite concerned about the API stability around all of this. Postgres
> releases yearly, and supports 5 years of release branches (so there's 5
> release branches most of the time).  Having to constantly adapt to
> changing LLVM APIs in each of those release branches and the dev branch,
> is going to make using LLVM pretty painful.  If working on the C API is
> the best way to address that concern, I'm willing to do some of that.

That's a fair concern. LLVM policy is that we don't guarantee stability
in either the C or C++ APIs. However we don't make change for changes sake
(especially not in the C APIs), so once we have a decent ORC C API I'd
expect the churn to be infrequent and hopefully minimally disruptive.

Getting *to* a decent ORC C API is another question. Nobody has invested
much effort in that yet. Once someone does I'd expect plenty of churn until
a decent, tested design emerges.

Cheers,
Lang.