[llvm-dev] TBAA for subset of a loaded value

Hal Finkel via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Apr 10 18:47:29 PDT 2017

On 04/10/2017 08:01 PM, Keno Fischer wrote:
> I'm interested in what we can do about TBAA for loads that the
> compiler inserts when optimizing loads into smaller loads (e.g. what
> SROA does). I'm gonna set the stage by using a small C snippet,
> because I think C has the best-understood implementation of TBAA among
> the folks on the list. However, I was unable to actually come up with
> an example where this inhibits optimizations coming from C code. I
> myself have this problem as a real problem in a non-C frontend, which
> allows for more stringent AA. With that in mind, consider
>
> void foo(unsigned int *data, int128_t *value) {
>      for (int i = 1; i < 100; ++i) {
>          data[i] += (int)*value;
>      }
> }
>
> This will get lowered to something like (pseudo llvm IR here)
>
> for.body:
> %l = load i128, i128* %value, !tbaa !1
> %t = trunc %l to i32
> %gep = ...
> %old = load i32, i32* %gep, !tbaa !2
> %new = add i32 %t, %old
> store i32 %new, %gep, !tbaa !2
>
> Now, it seems like a perfectly reasonable optimization for the
> optimizer (though it currently doesn't do that), to fold %l and %t to:
>
> %b = bitcast i128* %value to i32*
> %t = load i32, i32 *%b
>
> However, what can we say about the tbaa of %t at this point? With the
> current semantics, I'm not sure we're allowed to say anything (in this
> case maybe we're still allowed to say !tbaa !1, but consider what
> happens for say *value>>32, which we could fold to gep+load).

I think we can still tag the high-part load with the same TBAA metadata.
The TBAA metadata is not really attached to pointer, but to memory
accesses. The access includes the size, and TBAA also rules out partial
aliases. Thus, if we have a large load with TBAA, we can tag all
"interior" loads with the same TBAA metadata.

Thus, I think SROA just needs to propagate the TBAA metadata from the
original access to all of the accesses it creates from it.

  -Hal

--
Hal Finkel
Leadership Computing Facility