[llvm-dev] Debugging Docs and llvm.org/docs/

Brian Cain via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Apr 6 18:10:40 PDT 2017

On Thu, Apr 6, 2017 at 6:17 PM, Tanya Lattner via llvm-dev <
llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> > On Apr 6, 2017, at 2:52 AM, Renato Golin <renato.golin at linaro.org>
> wrote:
> >
> > On 6 April 2017 at 05:49, Dean Michael Berris <dean.berris at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >> I'll have a look if I can untangle that.
> >>
> >> Thanks Renato!
> >
> > Well, that didn't last long. Now I remember why last time I fixed
> > hundreds of warnings on the docs directly instead of fixing the
> > server...
> >

> >> Has anybody looked into potentially getting the LLVM docs hosted on
> >> readthedocs.org and automatically built from the LLVM Git mirror (or
> through
> >> Subversion post-commit hooks)? Since we're already using Sphinx, this
> seems
> >> like a low-cost, low-interference way of hosting the generated
> >> documentation.
> >
> > This is actually a very good idea. I'll let Tanya and Anton further
> > comment on that from a foundation's point of view.
>
> The docs are built via SVN post-commit hook, but thats not the bigger
> issue in my opinion. I don’t know enough about readthedocs.org but if
> someone has a lot of experience.. perhaps they could summarize pros and
> cons of using it?
>
> I’m not opposed to change just need to understand it. I’m actually going
> to be handing off most of this stuff as soon as I can write the email to
> the list (sorry its Spring Break here in the US so my time is limited this
> week). I have someone who is going to help with sys admin on llvm.org and
> head things up in that area but ideally its a team of people.

I don't know the answers re: pros/cons, I've never built anything with
readthedocs before.  But I was curious about how hard it is to setup so I
gave it a whirl.  The answer appears to be: not very hard at all.  I added
a two-line YAML config file but from the docs I read it seems like it was a
superfluous step.  Most of the work was clicking a handful of buttons on
github and readthedocs' websites.

https://llvm.readthedocs.io/en/latest/

Apologies for squatting on the project name, I thought the url would be
qualified by my username.  I'll see how I can get it changed to move out of
the way for the LLVM project.

I did a spot check of several pages and couldn't find obvious
missing/invalid parts of the docs.  This is just llvm and not clang nor any
other project, though.

https://llvm.readthedocs.io/en/latest/GoldPlugin.html

https://llvm.readthedocs.io/en/latest/WritingAnLLVMPass.html

https://llvm.readthedocs.io/en/latest/HowToCrossCompileLLVM.html