[llvm-dev] Shipping LLVM.dll for the C API with the Windows installer.

Jakob Bornecrantz via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Apr 5 11:40:50 PDT 2017

On Wed, Apr 5, 2017 at 5:20 PM, John Brawn <John.Brawn at arm.com> wrote:
> We already half-have this, the LLVM_BUILD_LLVM_C_DYLIB cmake option builds
> a shared object which exports the llvm-c interface but it only works on
> Darwin.
>
> tools/llvm-shlib/CMakeLists.txt is where how this is done is defined, and it
> looks like it does it by:
>  * build LLVM.so
>  * use nm+awk+sed to pick out the symbols starting with LLVM
>  * build LLVM-C.so using a -reexport_library linker option
>
> I'm thinking that maybe we could make this not-darwin-specific by making
> use of utils/extract_symbols.py:
>  * edit extract_symbols.py to add a --only_unmangled option (or maybe
>    --only_prefix=LLVM or something like that)
>  * on non-darwin use that instead of the existing command to get the
>    symbols to export (or: make extract_symbols.py work on Darwin)
>  * instead of building LLVM-C.so from LLVM.so using this -reexport_library
>    option, instead build LLVM-C.so from the same libraries that LLVM.so
>    is built from
>  (where I use .so above, it also applies to .dll)
>
> John

Thanks for the info John!

I tried to enable LLVM_BUILD_LLVM_C_DYLIB on my linux machine
to play around a little bit. I disabled the APPLE check to get past that.
The config failed if I had BUILD_SHARED_LIBS also set to true.
If I tried that without the flag it complained about missing:
builddir/./lib/libLLVM.so

Which is a bit weird since it builds a lib/libLLVM-5.0svn.so.

I have to admit I'm a tiny bit in over my head here with the cmake scripts here.

Cheers, Jakob.