[llvm-dev] [RFC] Require PRs for XFAILing tests

Chris Bieneman via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Sep 28 13:01:45 PDT 2016

I think there are a few interesting things that could follow from solidifying a policy requiring PRs for XFAILs.

First and foremost bugs can have way more context than than you would often find in a test case comment. That would make it a lot easier to audit XFAILs in the future and help keep the number of XFAILs to a minimum. I think this is important because many of our XFAILs are really old, and I’m not convinced that we shouldn’t just be deleting some of these tests.

For example, 2008-12-14-StrideAndSigned.ll and 7 other tests were marked with “XFAIL: *” in 2009, and the commit message doesn’t really explain what was going on:

> commit 789558db70d9513a017c11c5be30945839fdff1c
> Author: Nick Lewycky <nicholas at mxc.ca>
> Date:   Tue Jan 13 09:18:58 2009 +0000
>
>     Wind SCEV back in time, to Nov 18th. This 'fixes' PR3275, PR3294, PR3295,
>     PR3296 and PR3302.
>

>     git-svn-id: https://llvm.org/svn/llvm-project/llvm/trunk@62160 91177308-0d34-0410-b5e6-96231b3b80d8

Requiring a PR doesn’t necessarily fix this problem because you could list the wrong PR, or even just a generic stub PR that didn’t add meaningful value, but I think our community is pretty good at keeping people honest via code reviews.

I also think that eventually we could extend LIT to optionally query the bug database to perform automated audits to keep track of referenced bugs and produce reports about the referenced bug reports.

I also think the process of instituting this policy would require an audit of existing XFAILs which will allow us to evaluate the value provided by our current XFAILing tests and we can consider solutions to handle some of these cases better. That could be removing tests that are universally XFAILing with no expected change coming, or migrating tests to REQUIRES or UNSUPPORTED instead of XFAIL.

-Chris