[llvm-dev] Load combine pass

Artur Pilipenko via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Sep 28 09:32:58 PDT 2016

One of the arguments for doing this earlier is inline cost perception of the original pattern. Reading i32/i64 by bytes look much more expensive than it is and can prevent inlining of interesting function.

Inhibiting other optimizations concern can be addressed by careful selection of the pattern we’d like to match. I limit the transformation to the case when all the individual have no uses other than forming a wider load. In this case it’s less likely to loose information during this transformation.

I didn’t think of atomicity aspect though.

Artur