[llvm-dev] RFC: SIMD math-function library

C Bergström via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Sep 27 04:10:12 PDT 2016

On Tue, Sep 27, 2016 at 6:29 PM, Hal Finkel <hfinkel at anl.gov> wrote:
> [...]

I didn't realize this is a patch specifically for parallel-libs. I'd
really hope you reconsider compiler-rt or even a top level project
home for this.

Not to be taken too seriously.. just thinking out loud below

Sorry to digress, but...
So far "parallel-libs" is just a front for SE. Six posts on the
mailing list and not much sign of life. So much potential, but what's
happened since the initial commit in ~June?
--------------
In contrast this has a more broad reach and general day-to-day use.
Coupling that with another project which is already a strong
dependency seems like a logical fit, no? compiler-rt isn't
particularly big and would anyone complain against it being included
there?

Anyway - this library doesn't handle parallelism, it's vectorization.
(semantics). Also there's already a bunch of built-ins that the
compiler leverages in compiler-rt a somewhat similar fashion?
lib/builtins

For naming conventions - In general it may make sense to set a
precedent early on what internally named functions should be. Off the
cuff I'd propose __clg or something short and simple.. Consistency is
typically a good thing, but anything with __ by the standard should be
safe..

Sorry I can't help with the tests or benchmark side, but hopefully
when things are ironed out a bit more I'll try to test as best as I
can.

Thanks