[llvm-dev] RFC: New intrinsics masked.expandload and masked.compressstore

Hal Finkel via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Sat Sep 24 09:49:17 PDT 2016

Hi Elena,

Technically speaking, this seems straightforward.

I wonder, however, how target-independent this is in a practical sense; will there be an efficient lowering when targeting any other ISA? I don't want to get into the territory where, because the vectorizer is supposed to be architecture independent, we need to add target-independent intrinsics for all potentially-side-effect-carrying idioms (or just complicated idioms) we want the vectorizer to support on any target. Is there a way we can design the vectorizer so that the targets can plug in their own idiom recognition for these kinds of things, and then, via that interface, let the vectorizer produce the relevant target-dependent intrinsics?

Thanks again,
Hal