[llvm-dev] Improving SCEV's behavior around IR level no-wrap flags

Hal Finkel via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Sep 23 10:20:58 PDT 2016

----- Original Message -----
> From: "Sanjoy Das" <sanjoy at playingwithpointers.com>

My understanding is that there were two problems; this is one of them. The second problem is that the SCEV expressions were meant to be context insensitive so that the expressions could be compared, and expanded, without worrying about potential control dependencies on the wrapping flags.

An attempt at an example...

for (int i = 0; i < n; ++i)
for (int j = 0; j < m + q; ++j) {
  array[j][i] = i + j;
}

The fact that (m+q) does not wrap may have a control dependency on n > 0. If we want, for example, to perform loop interchange, we need to drop the nsw on the (m+q) when we materialize the trip-count expression outside of the input's outer loop. Maybe we can just handle this issue in the expander, but I suspect we need to be careful in other contexts as well, for example, if we have:

for (int i = 0; i < n + q; ++i)
for (int j = 0; j < m + q; ++j) {
  array[j][i] = i + j;
}

and I want to construct a comparison between (n+q) < (m+q); I need to be careful about just using the nsw on (n+q) and (m+q) to simplify this to be n < m because the nsw on (m+q) is really only dependable if n + q > 0.

 -Hal

--
Hal Finkel
Leadership Computing Facility