[llvm-dev] Benchmark LNT weird thread behaviour

Renato Golin via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Sep 21 02:33:30 PDT 2016

On 21 September 2016 at 01:33, Chris Matthews <chris.matthews at apple.com> wrote:
> I think every job should define those or use the LNT default of 1,1.  The
> validity of compile time and exec time metrics is in question if the job is
> loaded incorrectly, so it makes sense to me to not allow that -j to get
> passed through.

The job's default *is* -j1. But we pass -jN to the other steps
(compiling Clang, for instance).

We also pass -jN to LNT, because that means both build and execute in one go.

I'll change the buildbots to pass both explicitly in nt_flags, and
will also change the builder to not pass -j in any case.

But if users should not be passing -jN, but instead --threads and
--build-threads directly, than I think we should make it into an error
in LNT, no?

cheers,
--renato