[llvm-dev] (Thin)LTO llvm build

Michael Kruse via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Sep 20 10:17:48 PDT 2016

I am the author of Polly's/ISL's platform tests and could reproduce
the problem on my system with this error message:

/usr/bin/ld: /usr/lib/llvm-3.8/bin/../lib/LLVMgold.so: error loading
plugin: /usr/lib/llvm-3.8/bin/../lib/LLVMgold.so: cannot open shared
object file: No such file or directory

Sure, that file doesn't exist. I'd expect Ubuntu 16.04 to have
installed it for the installed version of clang, but `apt-file seach
LLVMgold` returns:

llvm-3.5-dev: /usr/lib/llvm-3.5/lib/LLVMgold.so
llvm-3.6-dev: /usr/lib/llvm-3.6/lib/LLVMgold.so
llvm-3.7-dev: /usr/lib/llvm-3.7/lib/LLVMgold.so
llvm-dev: /usr/lib/LLVMgold.so

/usr/lib/LLVMgold.so is a symlink to llvm-3.8/lib/LLVMgold.so, which
doesn't exist. This looks like a mistake in the llvm-3.8-dev package.
This bug might be related:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/llvm-toolchain-snapshot/+bug/1254970

The tests use CMake's standard mechanism check_c{xx}_source_compiles()
to check whether a source file compiles and links. I assume it is just
the first project in the configure chain to make use of it.

Michael