[llvm-dev] (Thin)LTO llvm build

Carsten Mattner via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Sat Sep 17 15:23:52 PDT 2016

On Sat, Sep 17, 2016 at 4:13 AM, Mehdi Amini <mehdi.amini at apple.com> wrote:
> ThinLTO is quite lean on the memory side. What's you bottleneck to throttle you -j?

It's an acquired behavior from previous compiles of heavy users of C++ templates
or some other C++ feature that blows up space use, having to be careful not
to swap. I usually try -jNUM_VIRT_CORES, but could also run -j of course.
gcc's space overhead has been optimized significantly for OpenOffice and Mozilla
a couple releases back, so it's probably less of an issue these days.