[llvm-dev] (Thin)LTO llvm build

Teresa Johnson via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Sep 16 15:48:34 PDT 2016

On Fri, Sep 16, 2016 at 2:54 PM, Carsten Mattner via llvm-dev <
llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 16, 2016 at 11:28 PM, Mehdi Amini <mehdi.amini at apple.com>
> wrote:
>
> > You probably missed -DLLVM_BINUTILS_INCDIR.
> >
> > See: http://llvm.org/docs/GoldPlugin.html
>
> plugin-api.h is in /usr/include, so I'd expect it to be found, but I
> can explicitly set BINUTILS_INCDIR and re-bootstrap with gcc 6.2.1.
>
> I have ld.gold, but I'm not sure if /usr/bin/ld uses it, though I'd expect
> it to since it's been in for a couple releases now.
>
> $ ld -v
> GNU ld (GNU Binutils) 2.27
> $ ld.bfd -v
> GNU ld (GNU Binutils) 2.27
> $ ld.gold -v
> GNU gold (GNU Binutils 2.27) 1.12

Looks like your default ld is GNU ld.bfd not ld.gold. You can either change
your /usr/bin/ld (which probably is a link to /usr/bin/ld.bfd) to point
instead to /usr/bin/ld.gold, or if you prefer, set your PATH before the
stage1 compile to a location that has ld linked to ld.gold.

Teresa

Teresa Johnson |  Software Engineer |  tejohnson at google.com |  408-460-2413