[llvm-dev] Clang using LLVM's tools

Timothy Purcell via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Sep 12 03:51:43 PDT 2016

Hi, Gentoo user here. I'm trying to do some work on the wiki. I apologize
in advance if this does not belong here.

I've noticed that LLVM ships a bunch of utilities like llvm-ar, llvm-nm,
llvm-ranlib, llvm-cov, llvm-objdump and so on. These seem like alternatives
to programs provided by gcc, binutils, and coreutils.

When using Clang, does Clang automatically use these? During the config
phase of building packages, Gentoo will see binutils ar and nm, for
example, and use those as the configure phase checks to see which are in
use.

Of course, we can set a global override in make.conf to use LLVM versions,
and during the configuration phase, it will call on LLVM provided tools
instead once they're defined. What is the best way to go about this?

AS is a variable we can define in make.conf, and I noticed there is a LLVM
provided assembler, llvm-as. Clang also has an integrated assembler? You
can define that with the -integrated-as flag? What does that do, exactly?
Does it get called by default, or does Clang use the system assembler by
default? Any pros/cons to use system over llvm-as, or integrated-as? Is
there anything else built into Clang like this?

If anyone can clarify this, I'd be really grateful. Thank you for your time.