[llvm-dev] [RFC] One or many git repositories?

Alexander via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Sep 9 12:40:51 PDT 2016

Oh sorry. I missed that. I'll do that aswell. But what i said was just
about the general idea of only using what you need and breaking of
dependencies (in this case a kind repositorydependency if everything is
not a submodul).

Imagine someone wants to work on something inside of LLVM itself. he
creates a branch, does his changes. At some point he'll rebase his
branch on top of the remote version. Lot of commits flow in. Even if no
conflict occured, you might want to study the new commits. At this point
however you have to filter out all the commits which do not influence
the LLVM-Project. Instead if it's a repo with submodules, you can work
on the LLVM submodul and review only those commits. I'd say the
Monolith-Repo has (maybe) to much noise sometimes.

The whole LLVM/CLang/... has some nice (theoretical) groups you
can/could split them into. However reading about the cmake-magic here i
get it that it might be hard to really decouple them.