[llvm-dev] New Error object for CoverageMapping/createBinary

Gaël Jobin via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Sep 8 03:05:25 PDT 2016

Hi all,

I saw that some methods that was returning ErrorOr<> object are now
returning Expected<> object embedding Error object instead of
std::error_code. I have some troubles understanding how to use the new
Error class...

Until now, I was using this kind of code :

> auto BinOrErr = llvm::object::createBinary(this->execPath);
>
> if(auto EC = BinOrErr.getError())
> {
>    errs() << "Error : " << EC.message() << "\n";
>    return false;
> }

And this one:

> > auto CoverageOrErr = llvm::coverage::CoverageMapping::load(this-
>execPath, this->profPath, arch);
>
> if (auto EC = CoverageOrErr.getError())
> {
> >    errs() << "Error: Failed to load coverage: " << EC.message() <<
"\n";
>    return false;
> }

Since LLVM 3.9, load() and createBinary() return an Expected object. I
managed to get the Error object using takeError() method (instead of
the old getError()). But, since the Error object is not an
std::error_code, I did not found a way to retrieve the message
information... I tried to convert the Error object back to
std::error_code using the function errorToErrorCode() like this:

> > auto CoverageOrErr = llvm::coverage::CoverageMapping::load(this-
>execPath, this->profPath, arch);
>
> if (Error Err = CoverageOrErr.takeError())
> {
> >    errs() << "Error: Failed to load coverage: "
<< errorToErrorCode(Err).message() << "\n";
>    return false;
> }

But I cannot compile this code because of the copy constructor being
marked as deleted.

> > error: use of deleted function ‘llvm::Error::Error(const
llvm::Error&)’
> > /home/gagou/test/llvm/include/llvm/Support/Error.h:161:3: note:
declared here
>    Error(const Error &Other) = delete;

I don't know what I'm doing wrong, other files like
SymbolizableObjectFile.cpp, ObjectFile.cpp IRObjectFile.cpp, etc seems
to use the function errorToErrorCode() without any issue.

Does anyone know what is the best way to retrieve the message
information from an Error object?

Thank you !

Regards,
Gael