[llvm-dev] Benchmarks for LLVM-generated Binaries

Michael Zolotukhin via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Sep 6 16:07:45 PDT 2016

> On Sep 1, 2016, at 8:14 AM, Renato Golin via llvm-dev <llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
>
> On 1 September 2016 at 07:45, Dean Michael Berris via llvm-dev
> <llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
>> I've lately been wondering where benchmarks for LLVM-generated binaries are hosted, and whether they're tracked over time.
>
> Hi Dean,
>
> Do you mean Perf?
>
> http://llvm.org/perf/
>
> Example, ARM and AArch64 tracking performance at:
>
> http://llvm.org/perf/db_default/v4/nts/machine/41
> http://llvm.org/perf/db_default/v4/nts/machine/46
>

>> - Is the test-suite repository the right place to put these generated-code benchmarks?
>
> I believe there would be the best place, yes.
>

>> - Are there any objections to using a later version of the Google benchmarking library [0] in the test-suite?
>
> While this looks like a very nice tool set, I wonder how we're going
> to integrate it.
>
> Checking it out in the test-suite wouldn't be the best option (version
> rot), but neither would be requiring people to install it before
> running the test-suite, especially if the installation process isn't
> as easy as "apt-get install", like all the other dependencies.
>

>> - Are the docs on the Testing Infrastructure Guide still relevant and up-to-date, and is that a good starting point for exploration here?
>
> Unfortunately, that's mostly for the "make check" tests, not for the
> test-suite. The test-suite execution is covered by LNT's doc
> (http://llvm.org/docs/lnt), but it's mostly about LNT internals and
> not the test-suite itself.
>
> However, it's not that hard to understand the test-suite structure. To
> add new tests, you just need to find a suitable place { (SingleSource
> / MultiSource) / Benchmarks / YourBench } and copy ( CMakeFiles.txt,
> Makefile, lit.local.cfg ), change to your needs, and it should be
> done.
Hi Renato and others,

Is it possible/how hard will it be to make the testsuite kind of extendable? Like, I copy a folder with some tests that comply to some rules (e.g. have CMakeLists.txt, lit.local.cfg, etc.) and run them via the standard infrastructure without changing anything in test-suite files?

The motivation of this question is the following: we (and probably many other companies too) have internal tests that we can’t share, but still want to track. Currently, the process of adding them to the existing test-suite is not clear to me (or at least not very well documented), and while I can figure it out, it would be cool if we can streamline this process.

Ideally, I’d like to see this process like this:
1) Add following files to your benchmark suite:
  1.a) CMakeLists.txt having this and that target doing this and that.
  1.b) lit.local.cfg script having this and that.
  …
2) Make sure the test report results in the following format/provide a wrapper script to convert results to the specified form. /* TODO: Results format is specified here */
3) Run your tests using the standard LNT command, like  "lnt runtest … --only-test=External/MyTestSuite/TestA”

If that’s already implemented, then I’ll be glad to help with documentation, and if not, I can try implementing it. What do you think?

Thanks,
Michael