[llvm-dev] Recommended computer resources to build llvm

Wink Saville via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Sep 6 14:54:38 PDT 2016

I've got a i7 with 12 logical cores and 16GB of RAM I successfully
built RELEASE_390/final but for the last 100 or so files I'd to use
"ninja -j2" so as not to keep from swapping in the best case and and
in the worst case the build kills itself without completing because
apparently its run out of memory.

For the first 3200 files or so it was doing just fine with "ninja"
which is probably "ninja -j12" but as I said for the last 100 or so
files I had to use "ninja -j2" to get it to complete.

So what is the recommended computer resources, and I guess RAM size in
particular, for building llvm "quickly"?

-- wink