[llvm-dev] Problem with "[SimplifyCFG] Handle tail-sinking of more than 2 incoming branches"

Michael Kuperstein via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Sep 2 13:35:23 PDT 2016

Hello Marcello,

We're currently planning to disable this optimization - at least
temporarily - for cases where we'll end up creating PHIs of pointers for
performance reasons (see PR30188).

Having said that - I don't believe this is something you can rely on for
correctness.
>From an IR semantics perspective, this is a completely legal transformation
that can be introduced by any optimization pass, for whatever reason. We
can't control that throughout the entire optimization stack with a TTI
hook. Two potential solutions I can see are to either (a) teach your
backend to handle it (by disambiguating these loads in a pre-ISel IR pass),
or (b) use some kind of type-system trick to make it impossible (say,
assign a different address space to each distinct pointer in the front end).

Thanks,
  Michael