[llvm-dev] PIC and mcmodel=large on x86 doesn't use any relocations

John Reagan via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Oct 28 14:30:17 PDT 2016

> Message: 3
> Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2016 17:12:53 -0400
> From: John Reagan via llvm-dev <llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org>
> To: <llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org>,	<llvm-dev-request at lists.llvm.org>
> Subject: Re: [llvm-dev] PIC and mcmodel=large on x86 doesn't use any
> 	relocations
>
> I want my GOT, .plt, and other static data to be more than 2GB away
> from the code.
> Our stack and heap will also live in the bottom 2GB chunk of memory due
> to VAX history.
>
> No single code segment or data segment will be larger than 2GB however.
> So branches inside of .text for example (or to other code sections)
> will fit within 2GB.
>
> John

So if we need AMD64 mcmodel=large support, this is our chance to start contributing, eh?

Who is a good contact for me to start working on an RFC and some prototyping at our end?  Somebody probably knows where the hidden risks are located.

I'll be in San Jose next week if anybody wants to talk about joining forces on fleshing out the rest of the memory models (and if I have to do large, might as well finish medium also - it didn't look fully cooked either).

John