[llvm-dev] RFC: Removing the DataStreamer and MemoryObject interfaces

Peter Collingbourne via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Oct 28 10:14:49 PDT 2016

And on a separate thread [0] Derek indicated he'd be fine with removing it.
I'll leave this thread open until end of Monday to receive any other
opinions, then proceed to remove it.

Peter

[0]
http://lists.llvm.org/pipermail/llvm-commits/Week-of-Mon-20161024/400754.html

On Fri, Oct 28, 2016 at 10:08 AM, Peter Collingbourne <peter at pcc.me.uk>
wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> BitstreamReader is the only in-tree client of the DataStreamer and
> MemoryObject interfaces. In practice when using user-facing LLVM tools, the
> bitcode will normally either be in memory or in a file, so the best way to
> access it is through memory, either directly or memory mapped.
>
> As part of some refactorings I am making to BitstreamReader, I would like
> to simplify it by changing it to use a memory buffer directly and then
> removing the DataStreamer and MemoryObject interfaces.
>
> My understanding that the only significant user of that interface as
> designed (for network streaming) is PNaCl, however it looks like removing
> this interface would not impose a significant burden on that project; they
> are already maintaining a couple of forks of BitstreamReader [1] so it
> would appear that the only change necessary on their side would be to also
> fork the interfaces.
>
> If you are aware of any other significant users, please speak up!
>
> Thanks,
> --
> --
> Peter
>
> [1] https://chromium.googlesource.com/native_client/pnacl-
> llvm/+/master/include/llvm/Bitcode/NaCl/NaClBitstreamReader.h
> https://chromium.googlesource.com/native_client/pnacl-subzero/+/master/
> pnacl-llvm/include/llvm/Bitcode/NaCl/NaClBitstreamReader.h

Peter