[llvm-dev] What was the IR made for precisely?

ジョウェットジェームス via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Oct 27 18:43:39 PDT 2016

Thank you for your answers.

In fact I'm still hesitating between C and C++, sorry for my incomplete message. What I want to write is some sort of DSL; so I can afford both I think.
I'm thinking about generating standard-compliant code using numeric limits and stuff; given that I don't care about compilation time or debugging, I think I can still use C++ in case I decide to include exceptions or other things hard to implement in C.

I understood from your replies that I still have a small part of target specific code to write, but honestly I don't know about all the main targets enough to do this correctly and efficiently I think. I would need to sum up all the rules and ABIs and sizes for all the targets I need and generate different IR for each, am I correct? I don't even know if there are many off such rules, or even where they are all defined precisely. I have used assembly and read processor manuals etc before but that was obviously never for writing cross platform code.