[llvm-dev] RFC: Killing undef and spreading poison

Daniel Berlin via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Oct 24 13:31:29 PDT 2016

On Mon, Oct 24, 2016 at 1:26 PM, Daniel Berlin <dberlin at dberlin.org> wrote:

> On Sun, Oct 23, 2016 at 9:30 AM, Nuno Lopes <nuno.lopes at ist.utl.pt> wrote:
>
>> > So just to be clear (mainly so i can go back to letting y'all hash this
>> out), in value numbering:
>> > 1. I can value number all freeze operations on the same operand to the
>> same value
>> >  *as long as*
>> > 2. I  replace all freeze values of the same operand with a single one.
>> >
>> > Or am i misunderstanding?
>> > If i've got it right, the issue i see with #2 is whether i can hoist
>> freezes or not.
>> >
>> > If not, it may not be possible to cover all uses.
>> >
>> > IE
>> > if (a)  {
>> >   %1 = freeze (%x)
>> > } else if (b) {
>> >   %2 = freeze (%x)
>> > } else if (c){
>> >   %3 = freeze (%x)
>> > }
>> >
>> > I cannot replace these with a single freeze def without placing a
>> freeze above the if block.
>>
>> As Sanjoy said, hoisting freeze is fine, but movement is not without
>> constraints.  For example, you cannot duplicate execution of freeze.
>> e.g. the following is wrong (assuming loop body may execute multiple
>> times):
>>
>> %x = freeze %y
>> while(...) { use %x }
>> =>
>> while(...) {
>>    %x = freeze %y
>>    use %x
>> }
>>
>> So Sanjoy saying that freeze can be thought as an atomic/volatile
>> operation seems like a good intuition.
>>

>> > *If* i need to replace them all with the same freeze def in order to be
>> able to consider them the same value,  (...)
>>
>> Right, so just to make it very clear, the following would be wrong:
>> %x = freeze %y
>> %w = freeze %y
>> use_1 %x
>> use_2 %w
>> use_3 %x
>> =>
>> %x = freeze %y
>> %w = freeze %y
>> use_1 %w
>> use_2 %w
>> use_3 %x
>>
>> If you replace one use of %x, all uses have to be replaced, since
>> different freezes of the same operand *may* return different values.
>> I guess that since we are never (err, most of the times) sure of whether
>> a value may come out of freeze, this rule needs to be applied to any value.
>> Daniel: is that fine for GVN, or would it make things too complicated?
>>

> Current GVN will definitely get this wrong an d would be hard to fix
> because of how it eliminates (IE it may cause performance regression)

To be clear, i mean: "If you make current GVN understand freeze x has the
same value everywhere, it will do the wrong thing. If you make it think
freeze x has a different value everywhere, it will never eliminate
anything, which is a regression"

But again, just to make sure i understand, is the following legal:
%x = freeze %y
%w = freeze %y
use_1 %x
use_2 %w