[llvm-dev] unable to compile llvm with gcc 4.7.4

Daniel Berlin via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Oct 17 14:01:54 PDT 2016

On Mon, Oct 17, 2016 at 1:41 PM, Renato Golin <renato.golin at linaro.org>
wrote:

> On 17 October 2016 at 19:44, Daniel Berlin <dberlin at dberlin.org> wrote:
> > First stage of gcc is the entire compiler, not a subset or a different
> > compoiler.
>
> I didn't mean a different compiler, just not a full "toolchain".

Ah.
You said "GCC has a reduced sub-set of the compiler that works with many old
compiler".

This is the part i meant is not correct anymore. It does not have a reduced
subset.
This was kind of true at one point.  It used to be that the C compiler even
worked with K&R through conversion.
Nowadays, even this has fallen by the wayside.

> As far as my knowledge of Linaro's process goes, stage 1 uses the
> system libraries and tools (could be cross), and they use the stage 1
> to build the intended versions of the libraries and tools (stage
> 1.5?),

Yes.

> and use that "incomplete" build + new libraries and tools to
> build stage 2.

I wouldn't call it "incomplete". In most cases, it includes all compilers
and languages and libraries :)

> Stage 3 should be identical, for verification
> processes.

Yes.