[llvm-dev] unable to compile llvm with gcc 4.7.4

Renato Golin via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Oct 17 13:41:45 PDT 2016

On 17 October 2016 at 19:44, Daniel Berlin <dberlin at dberlin.org> wrote:
> First stage of gcc is the entire compiler, not a subset or a different
> compoiler.

I didn't mean a different compiler, just not a full "toolchain".

As far as my knowledge of Linaro's process goes, stage 1 uses the
system libraries and tools (could be cross), and they use the stage 1
to build the intended versions of the libraries and tools (stage
1.5?), and use that "incomplete" build + new libraries and tools to
build stage 2. Stage 3 should be identical, for verification
processes.

The difference with LLVM is that we don't build the libraries with
stage 1's Clang, but the system compiler/tools/libraries as well,
making it a simple 2-stage build, as opposed to a 2.5 stage build.
When it comes to the C libraries, we don't even build them at all, and
use the system libraries even on stage 2.

cheers,
--renato