[llvm-dev] unable to compile llvm with gcc 4.7.4

Joerg Sonnenberger via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Oct 12 15:47:48 PDT 2016

On Wed, Oct 12, 2016 at 03:40:03PM -0700, Pete Cooper via llvm-dev wrote:
> Out of interest, are newer toolchains available from apt-get and other
> similar package managers?  The only part of supporting linux/BSD in
> this way I question is that we end up stuck with whatever shipped with
> the OS, not what may be available via their package managers.  If the
> available packages are also old GCC versions then fair enough, but I
> just want to understand the ecosystem.

Trying to use more than one GCC version at the same is a major PITA.
Just imagine the fun when you want to use a system C++ library and you
have two different copies of libstdc++ pulled in. Heck, you can even get
funny issues with libgcc_s because every other main GCC branch adds
something fancy to it. Often, you end up with two copies of a lot of
major libraries just so that you can get a consistent state. The
situation is a bit better with Clang as it is easier to decouple libc++
and clang, but e.g. the proposed move to C++14 would still require a
libc+ update.

Joerg