[llvm-dev] unable to compile llvm with gcc 4.7.4

Renato Golin via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Oct 12 15:33:16 PDT 2016

Hi Peter,

We don't ship proper toolchains for distros, we ship toys that worked on
one developer's machine, and that includes our binaries as well.

Distro validation is a huge deal, especially toolchain, and we're in no way
equipped to even try to do a bad job at that.

Unix is a different world than that of Windows and Mac, and it makes no
sense to force the same requirements, either way.

I don't opine on msvc or xcode topics or design decisions because I don't
know enough to have any reasonable opinion, and I most certainly won't try
to make them more like Unix.

These things are what they are for good reasons and I think we should just
leave it at that.

Cheers,
Renato

PS: I don't mean disrespect either, but we have this discussion every time
someone mentions upgrading gcc.

Maybe we should write some documentation to avoid repeating the same
arguments. :-)