[llvm-dev] RFC: General purpose type-safe formatting library

Mehdi Amini via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Oct 12 12:23:50 PDT 2016

> On Oct 12, 2016, at 12:08 PM, Zachary Turner <zturner at google.com> wrote:
>
> I thought I did.  :)  Passing format strings between functions is very useful.  For example, imagine wanting to write a function like printRange(const char *Fmt, std::vector<int> Items);

I’m not sure I understand your example?
Do you mean you want the range to be in the format? If so Why? I would rather write something like:

printRange(“{per_elts_fmt}”, /* separator */ “, ", begin, end);

> This isn't possible if your format string MUST be a string literal

I haven’t seen a convincing example yet to support this. I may miss the obvious, but you haven’t shown it either.
One could find a way to *compose* format in a compile-time-safe more efficiently.

> Equally importantly, I don't see a good reason to disallow runtime format strings.

No compile time checking, bug hiding, not robust.
(i.e. you may not “crash”, but you may still don’t print what you want / expect in every case).

—
Mehdi