[llvm-dev] RFC: General purpose type-safe formatting library

David Chisnall via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Oct 12 01:23:55 PDT 2016

On 12 Oct 2016, at 07:29, Chandler Carruth via llvm-dev <llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> I'm generally favorable on the core idea of having a type-safe and friendly format-string-like formatting utility

I’m also generally in favour, but I wonder what the key motivations for designing our own, rather than importing something like FastFormat, fmtlib, or one of the other tried-and-tested C++ typesafe I/O libraries is.  Has someone done an analysis of why these designs are a bad fit for LLVM, or are we just reinventing the wheel because we feel like it?

David