[llvm-dev] On Loop Distribution pass

Dangeti Tharun kumar via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Sun Oct 9 10:09:01 PDT 2016

Dear community,

Our team at IITH have been experimenting with loop-distribution pass in
LLVM. We see the following results on few benchmarks.

clang -O3 -mllvm -enable-loop-distribute -Rpass=loop-distribute file.c

clang -O3 -mllvm -enable-loop-distribute -Rpass-analysis=loop-distribute
file.c

TORCH
<http://crd.lbl.gov/departments/computer-science/PAR/research/previous-projects/torch-testbed/>
:

There are nearly 488 loops in this benchmark. LLVM was not able to
distribute any loop.

TSVC <https://github.com/shantanuatiith/TSVC_>:

There are 151 loops coded in plain ā€˜Cā€™, none of them got distributed. TSVC
has particularly candidates valid for distribution like the one below. The
inner loop in this example can be distributed.

for (int nl = 0; nl < ntimes/2; nl++) {

for (int i = 1; i < LEN; i++) {

a[i] += c[i] * d[i];

b[i] = b[i - 1] + a[i] + d[i];

}

dummy(a, b, c, d, e, aa, bb, cc, 0.);

}

     MiBench <http://vhosts.eecs.umich.edu/mibench//>:

There are 6539 loops in MiBench. *None* of the loops were distributed by
the loop-distribution pass of LLVM.

     CoMD <https://github.com/exmatex/CoMD>:

CoMD is a reference implementation of typical classical molecular dynamics
algorithms and workloads.

Out of 112 loops none of them are distributed.

For the specific loop I have shown above which is straight forward a good
distribution candidate, the remark is "*loop not distributed: memory
operations are safe for vectorization [-Rpass-analysis=loop-distribute]*".

Can someone reason these results and this remark?

I humbly request the community to correct me, if am missing something in my
analysis.

--
Thank you
D Tharun kumar