[llvm-dev] [test-suite] making the test-suite succeed with "-Ofast" and "-ffp-contract=on"

Matthias Braun via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Oct 7 18:28:09 PDT 2016

> On Oct 7, 2016, at 5:56 PM, Hal Finkel via llvm-dev <llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

- First: I don't think we can find a 100% solution for the -ffp-contract=on differences; fpcmp with tolerances won't work on the output of oggenc. Luckily this seems to be the only problematic benchmark today. But at least for that one I see no better solution than adding the -ffp-contract=off switch.

- We should consider Polybench to be the problem here! Benchmarks that just run for a few seconds and produce hundreds of megabytes output are useless as a compiler/CPU benchmarks (time is really spend in libc, the kernel and waiting for disks). In case of well behaving benchmarks Proposal 1 is unnecessary: We can just ship the reference results together with the benchmark and use fpcmp with tolerances, we do that with most other benchmarks today. We just don't really want to do that in the case of Polybench because the output is so huge, so instead we went for just shipping a md5sum of the output which now failed in combination with floating point accuracy swings, starting this whole discussion...

- Because of the nature of Polybench I'd rather see Proposal 2 implemented. Compilation time of polybench is small compared to many of the other benchmarks, if we run into memory issues we can reduce the size of the arrays to normalize runtimes (so far I have no reason to believe we do though, looking at some random polybenchs it seemed by default they create a 1024*1024 array of doubles which should only be 8Meg per array). And hey if we modify the benchmarks anyway we could also add some checksumming to the code (maybe bitcasting the doubles to integers, adjusting for endianess and XOR'ing them together is enough?) and avoid all the I/O.

- I personally could live with Proposal 3 on the grounds of just declaring polybench a problematic benchmark so -ffp-contract=off is fine as a stopgap measure and relying on the fact that we have several other benchmarks that have smaller references outputs and use fpcmp correctly. Of course Proposal 2 is the saner solution here.

- Matthias