[llvm-dev] Proposal: arbitrary relocations in constant global initializers

Evgenii Stepanov via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Oct 7 14:48:17 PDT 2016

On Fri, Oct 7, 2016 at 2:28 PM, Peter Collingbourne <peter at pcc.me.uk> wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 7, 2016 at 1:55 PM, Evgenii Stepanov <eugeni.stepanov at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, Oct 7, 2016 at 1:22 PM, Peter Collingbourne <peter at pcc.me.uk>
>> wrote:

>> > I am confused by this statement. If the zeros aren't what appear in the
>> > object file, it seems rather relocation specific to me.
>>
>> These bytes will always be zeroes, which makes them not relocation
>> specific.
>> Object file contents, on the other hand, are relocation specific. In
>> particular the constant 0xfffffe is ARM_JUMP24 encoding for zero
>> offset (from the start of the current instruction).
>>
>> Somehow I find this IR representation very natural - you've got data
>> bytes for anything that's not relocated, and the target expression
>> (possibly including addend).
>

> My point is that the addend mangling between the IR and the object file
> would be relocation specific.
>
> What happens if I want to start using some new type of relocation? Will I
> need to teach the MC layer about it?

Yes. MC needs to know if it is pc-relative or not, at least. What's
the benefit in bypassing MC completely?

>> > I think it may be ok to allow non-global constants as the second operand
>> > (the utility of this feature being the ability to freely RAUW a global
>> > without worrying about reloc constants).
>> >
>> > This doesn't necessarily need to act as an alternative means of
>> > specifying
>> > an addend, though. Instead, the backend could synthesise local symbols
>> > act as relocation targets. For example, your example would conceptually
>> > translate to:
>> >
>> > @w = internal global [3 x i32]
>> >    [i32 reloc (29, void ()* @f, 3925868544),
>> >     i32 reloc (29, [3 x i32]* @w, 3925868544),
>> >     i32 reloc (29, i32* @dummy, i32 1), 3925868544)
>> >
>> > @dummy = internal alias i32* getelementptr (i32, i32* bitcast ([3 x
>> > i32]* @w
>> > to i32*), i32 1)
>> >
>> > This way, you save yourself from needing to worry about manipulating
>> > addends
>> > in the backend, the linker will take care of it for you.
>>
>> That's no worry at all, AsmPrinter::lowerConstant evaluates both
>> constant expressions to MCExpr: w + 4.
>

> But you still need to worry about how "w + 4" is represented in the object
> file.

It's a relocation with target "w" and addend "4".

With my proposal, the frontend/middleend controls section data
indirectly, meaning the actual final section data does not appear as
an IR constant, but we can still get whatever constant we want. On the
other hand, this representation is better for optimizations (instead
of a magic constant 0xfffffe you have a transparent expression w+4).
To optimize 0xfffffe representation, the backend would need to decode
the constant, which is the new code that has to be written for any
relocation you'd like to use in reloc(). And if we allow such
optimizations, we may end up with section bytes that are different
from the reloc() constant anyway.

Note that either way the frontend/middleend knows the size of the
relocated object (jump table entry).

>> Do you suggest we use this to limit "reloc" to accepting only
>> GlobalValue as the second argument instead of an arbitrary Constant?
>

> No, we would accept your example and conceptually translate it into my
> example.

>> > Right, this is of course a problem we already have for aliasees and
>> > constant
>> > initializers.

>> > Do you have an example of a rela relocation which uses both r_addend and
>> > the
>> > underlying value in the object file?
>>
>> The point of .rela is to allow addends that do not fit into the
>> underlying value. Such addends can not be expressed as the third
>> argument of reloc(), either. And IMHO the middleend should not worry
>> about such details.
>

> Something has to worry about them at some point. If a frontend/pass is
> creating relocations, then it will need to know at least vaguely which
> addend it wants. If that's the case, we can make it the single component
> responsible for worrying about the whole addend, rather than the
> responsibility being diffuse over a number of components.
>
> Regarding width, I believe that no object format we support uses an addend
> width wider than 64 bits, so we can just use a uint64_t.

You mean as a fourth argument to reloc()?