[llvm-dev] [RFC] Require PRs for XFAILing tests

Krzysztof Parzyszek via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Oct 3 12:05:22 PDT 2016

On 10/3/2016 12:55 PM, Robinson, Paul wrote:

> If the XFAIL-linked PRs are content-free, that is worse than useless.
> The point is to have those PRs say something useful about the specific
> XFAIL case, which is a vast improvement over what we have today (i.e.,
> almost nothing).

They will be content-free.

Following of processes tends to degrade to meet the required minimum,
especially when large groups of people are involved. In this proposal
there is no way to enforce meaningful content, only that the PR exists.

To make sure that the process works, it needs a motivation that goes
beyond being solely a requirement. If the PR indicated a problem that
will need to be fixed, adding content would become natural. If the PR is
there only to keep a test from failing, adding information to it is just
extra work.

All that aside, what would be "meaningful information" in case of an
xfailed test? Doing enough analysis to find out why it fails is often
good enough to just fix it. A common thing for PRs is that they only
serve as a record that a problem exists, ideally with information on how
to reproduce it (they usually come from users, not developers). In case
of xfailed testcases we already know that they fail and how to reproduce
them.

-Krzysztof

hosted by The Linux Foundation