[llvm-dev] [RFC] Require PRs for XFAILing tests

Robinson, Paul via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Oct 3 10:21:53 PDT 2016

As David Blaikie mentioned, our bug hygiene is not really that good.
It would be easy to find the set of tests citing the generic PR, but
somebody would have to take it upon themselves to go looking for them.
By the time that happened, the kinds of details we'd want to see in a
bug would be just as missing as if we had no XFAIL-to-PR link at all.

Conversely, requiring short-term XFAILs to have their own PR means
that if somebody fixed the test and forgot to close the PR, that
dangling PR would be easy to recognize as something that could be
summarily closed if anybody decided to go look at all the XFAIL-linked
PRs.  This scenario leaves an open PR kicking around, O the horror,
but we have not lost any useful information.

Now, I think it would be a great and useful thing for somebody to take
on the role of PR Czar, to do that kind of sanitization of the bugs,
but I don't see it happening as an ongoing role.  Therefore I prefer
a process that is a bit more tedious but doesn't lose information
over a simpler but lossy process.
--paulr