[llvm-dev] Using C++14 code in LLVM

Chandler Carruth via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Oct 3 00:43:28 PDT 2016

On the one hand, I like this proposal. But that is because every system I
care about has or can easily acquire a GCC 4.9 baseline compiler. So when I
imagine that you want to move to GCC 5 instead of GCC 4.9, I get extremely
nervous.

I *do* think we should be prepared to move the baseline forward though. We
picked GCC 4.7 a *very* long time ago.

I understand that there are systems without GCC 4.9 now, but there were
systems without GCC 4.7 when we raised the minimum requirements to that
version. For me, the question is more how easily users on those systems
could update. If it is reasonably straight forward, I would be fine moving
the baseline up. If there are reasons why installing a newer GCC would be
very hard, that would be more concerning to me.

I do think moving past GCC 4.9 presents a unique challenge due to the ABI
break which took place between GCC 4.9 and GCC 5. For example, for me,
"just installing" a newer version of GCC works great right up until GCC 5
where it starts to break for ABI reasons.

However, once all of that is settled and we know what the baseline
compilers are, I'm 100% in favor of adopting essentially all of the
features they support and that work reliably. If we can get most of C++14,
great, let's do it. To Pete's point, I do think C++17 has more exciting
features in the pipeline, but I think we should take a greedy approach
here, and adopt as many features as are beneficial as early as we can get
away with given the host compilers we support.

Which means the primary question is about the host compilers IMO.

-Chandler