[llvm-dev] Using C++14 code in LLVM

Joerg Sonnenberger via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Sun Oct 2 10:56:16 PDT 2016

On Mon, Oct 03, 2016 at 12:49:21AM +0800, C Bergström wrote:
> Jörg, other than just time and energy - what's the (big?) technical
> challenge or bug list which prevents NetBSD from doing something
> radical like going to a really modern version of gcc? (I realize
> NetBSD tends to be very conservative, which isn't a bad thing) I've
> never had access to NetBSD 1st hand, but is very modern gcc available
> in "ports"?

The big challenge is that every GCC updates shows lots of random
breakage on non-x86 and often enough, on x86 just as well. Breakage in
the buggy-codegen area, not in "random new broken warnings". So while
there is a slow per-platform migration toward GCC 5.4, it tends to be
difficult.

Side note, GCC 4.8 is still the default compiler in many SuSE
environments as well.

Joerg