[llvm-dev] (Thin)LTO llvm build

Carsten Mattner via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Sun Oct 2 03:59:09 PDT 2016

On Sun, Oct 2, 2016 at 6:52 AM, Teresa Johnson <tejohnson at google.com> wrote:

> But something is odd then - if the builds aren't using gold then I don't
> see how ThinLTO could have been kicking in?

I'm not an expert on LLVM's build process, but it's important to note that the
failure was immediately upon trying to run cmake with the extended LDFLAGS,
which now includes the extra flags to enable more pruning.

My understaning was that ld.gold is required for the plugin to do ThinLTO,
and given my observation before/after enabling llvm-ar/llvm-ranlib to make
LTO work, and how long the ld processes took for executables and DSOs,
I'm under the impression that ld.gold was actually used.