[llvm-dev] CUDA: instrumenting PTX code

Gurunath Kadam via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Nov 18 10:55:47 PST 2016

Hi,

I am not sure if there is any CUDA/PTX instrumenting feature in LLVM.

I want to generated a simple memory trace and I know GPGPU Ocelot does
that. But I was thinking why not LLVM.

So I am looking at two optimizations implemented in LLVM for CUDA for some
inspiration.

1. Address inference: Does this use PTX IR or LLVM IR? I would say LLVM IR
based on some code keywords like PHI nodes etc.

2. Bypass slow div: This is a generic optimization done adopted for CUDA. I
think it uses LLVM IR.

So my question is, to instrument PTX code, shall I focus on LLVM IR or PTX?

Some definite guidance on these lines will be very helpful. Thank you.

Sincerely,
Gurunath