[llvm-dev] Highlighting trailing whitespaces on Phab?

Johannes Doerfert via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Nov 16 14:59:55 PST 2016

Hey Mehdi, Hey Matthias,

On 11/16, Matthias Braun wrote:
> I assume those arc linters run on the client side? And people need to have the various tools installed before all of that works?
Yes they run client side but there are no "tools" needed except
arcanist (we talk about arcanist linters after all).

Here is the .arclint file in the Polly repo:
{
  "linters": {
    "format": {
      "include": "(include/polly/.+\\.h$|lib/.+\\.cpp$)",
      "exclude": "(lib/JSON/.*)",
      "type": "script-and-regex",
      "script-and-regex.script": "sh -c './utils/check_format.sh \"$0\" 2> /dev/null || true'",
      "script-and-regex.regex": "/^(OK:(?P<ignore>.+)|Error:) (?P<message>.+)$/m"
    },
    "chmod": {
      "type": "chmod"
    },
    "filename": {
      "exclude": "(www/experiments/.+|.*\\.jscop.*)",
      "type": "filename"
    },
    "merge-conflict": {
      "type": "merge-conflict"
    },
    "spelling": {
      "exclude": "(configure|autoconf/.*)",
      "type": "spelling"
    }
  }
}

We, or better me at some point, used various linters provided by arcanist and
one custom "script-and-regex" linter based on the check_format.sh script that
wraps clang-format. While it is apparently not present in the repository
anymore [-.-], we used it at some point in the Polly tests ("check-polly") and
the buildbots to verify the source formatting.

> Just to throw out another idea: Running a linter on the server side and let it comment on phab reviews would be the perfect project to get some experience with pre-commit testing/hooks for llvm :)
To be honest I would prefer a server side solution or a bot as the clients
will not converge on one way of submitting patches (for review) anyway.

--
  Johannes

> > On Nov 16, 2016, at 9:14 AM, Mehdi Amini via llvm-dev <llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
> >
> > Why isn’t it in the LLVM repo?
We could port the linter as well as the test execution engine to llvm if
you like. For the latter I started a discussion once but it did just
fade away...