[llvm-dev] should we have IR intrinsics for integer min/max?

Zaks, Ayal via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Nov 14 03:44:02 PST 2016

Hal> Noting that all of the above use the same number of IR instructions, I prefer this third option:

as does RecurrenceDescriptor::isMinMaxSelectCmpPattern(), which looks for “Select(ICmp(X, Y), X, Y)”.

Sanjay> Another possible consideration is the structure/accuracy of the cost models used by the vectorizers and other passes. I don't think they ever special-case the cmp+sel pair as a possibly unified (and therefore cheaper than the sum of the parts) operation.

They call the above to identify min/max reductions; and use TTI::getCmpSelInstrCost(). Special-casing may be redundant if the costs of scalar-vs-vector min/max correspond to the costs of scalar-vs-vector cmp&sel.

Ayal.